Brammo Empulse R specs released
Brammo has released specs of its new Empulse R electric motorcycle ahead of a scheduled launch event in Los Angeles on May 8. Staking a claim as the fastest and longest range production electric motorcycle in the world, the Empulse R boasts a top speed of over 100 mph (160 km/h) and a range of up to 121 miles (195 km) for city driving.
The Empulse R unveil will coincide with a full reveal of the long-awaited Empulse. Both bikes feature a drivetrain consisting of a 40 kW water-cooled permanent magnet AC motor generating 63 Nm of torque coupled to an IET 6-speed gearbox with multi-plate, hydraulic activated wet clutch.
GET 20% OFF A NEW ATLAS PLUS SUBSCRIPTION
For a limited time, we're offering 20% off a New Atlas Plus subscription.
Just use the promo code APRIL at checkout.BUY NOW
Power is provided by a 10.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack using nickel cobalt manganese (NMC) chemistry, with an on-board J1772, level II charging system recharging the battery in just 3.5 hours and every ten minutes of charge time providing five miles (8 km) of range. Complete level I charging takes eight hours.
Brammo hasn’t revealed how the Empulse and Empulse R will differ, but has released specs of the Empulse R, which we’d expect to boast a performance boost over its stablemate. All will be revealed, including pricing, availability, pics and specs for both models, in a May 8 webcast for those customers already on the pre-order waiting list.
Empulse R specifications
- Empulse R Performance: 100 + mph (160 + km/h)
- Driving Range: City: 121 miles* (195 km)
- Highway: 56 miles** (90 km)
- Combined: 77 miles*** (124 km)
- *SAE City Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles (variable speed, 19 mph / 30km/h average) **SAE Highway / Constant Speed Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles (70 mph / 113 km/h sustained) *** SAE Highway Commuting Cycle (.5 City weighting, .5 Highway weighting)
- Operating Modes: 2 Operating Modes selectable through the handlebar switch:
- 1. “Normal” - limits acceleration by reducing maximum current delivered to the motor through the motor controller in order to maximize driving range.
- 2. “Sport” - provides maximum performance in both acceleration and top speed.
- Regenerative Braking: Under deceleration, energy is returned to the battery system to both extend driving range and provide familiar rider feedback.
- Operating Cost: Assuming 13 cents /kWh for electricity:
- 1 cent per mile around town
- 2 cents per mile on the highway
- Data Collection: Brammo DDC™ (Dynamic Data Collection) records key motorcycle parameters at 1Hz (1 sample/second) for analysis and service support.
Empulse R Dimensions
- Weight: 440lbs. / 200kg
- Seat Height: 31.5” 80.0 cm
- Width: 31.8” (bar end-to-bar end) 80.77 cm
- Height: 42.6” (highest portion of the dash) 108.2 cm
- Length: 81.3” 206.5 cm
- Ground Clearance: 7.3” 18.54 cm
- Storage Capacity: Optional Brammo hard saddle bags and top trunk.
- Fuel Economy: 485 mpg-e 206 km/L-e
- Carrying Capacity: Cargo Capacity 365 lbs. / 165.6 kg (805 lbs. / 365.1 kg total combined motorcycle, rider, passenger and cargo)
- Wheelbase: 58.0” 147.32 cm
- Warranty: 2 Years (Limited Factory Warranty) 1 year Fender-to-Fender Limited Warranty, 2 year Limited Powertrain Warranty (Batteries and Motor)
- Colors: True Blood Red, Eclipsed Black, White Noise
- Frame: Brammo E-Beam™ Aluminum, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy
- Suspension Front: Fully Adjustable 43mm Marzocchi Forks
- Suspension - Rear: Fully Adjustable Sachs Shock
- Brakes - Front: Dual 310mm Brembo floating disk with twin four piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Calipers, Radial Mount.
- Brakes - Rear: Brembo single disk with dual piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Caliper
- Wheels (Front/Back): 17”x 3.5” Marchesini / 17” x 5.5” Marchesini
- Tires (Front/Back): 120/70-17 AVON AV79 / 180/55-17 AVON AV80
- Instrumentation: LCD display; speed, tach, odometer, gear position, energy consumption, battery status, estimated range and system status
The following video highlights Brammo's racing heritage and provides a (very) sneak peek of the new Empulse.