All-New Subaru Impreza debuts at the New York International Auto Show
April 4, 2007 Subaru will unveil its all new Subaru Impreza at the New York International Auto Show press launch tonight, with the third-generation of the car which started the pocket-rocket phenomenon slated to hit the market mid-year. The new Impreza may look similar to its predecessors but it is entirely new with a redesigned chassis, body construction and drivetrain, as well as substantially improved overall performance.
Developed around the product concept of new, more refined designs for comfort, the latest Impreza incorporates sophisticated styling and rich interior design, roominess and space, and outstanding comfort and utility, while offering a pleasant and safe ride enhanced by Subaru Symmetrical AWD (All-Wheel drive) with the Horizontally-Opposed engine. FHI recently set forth a new theme for Subaru cars that stipulates Subaru’s goal: Subaru offers a comfortable, pleasant drive for the driver and passengers; provides peace of mind and reliability; and extends convenience, utility and functionality. Chassis
• The newly designed double-wishbone rear suspension effectively absorbs shocks from road surfaces, ensuring high levels of ride comfort and agile handling.
• The lower center of gravity, enabled by the Boxer engine, has been enhanced by mounting the engine slightly lower in the chassis, thereby further improving stability.
• Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), available on a wider grade range of the Impreza lineup, increases active safety. Body construction
• Additional use of high tension steel and reinforced joints has greatly improved rigidity.
• Streamlined body construction, while ensuring safety, makes weight reduction possible, which in turn improves fuel economy and maneuverability. Engine and transmission
• The 2.5-liter Boxer engine features ideal power output characteristics under a practical range of driving speeds through improved mid- to low-end torque. The engine has also been modified to improve emissions and fuel efficiency.
• The 2.5-liter SOHC normally aspirated engine adopts a new intake port and other design changes that make improved low-end torque and fuel efficiency possible. Improved emissions were realized by a new catalyst system that optimizes catalyst efficiency.
• Incorporating a newly designed intake manifold, intercooler and turbocharger, the 2.5-liter DOHC turbocharged engine delivers improved mid to low-end torque and fuel efficiency.
• Transmissions, both manual and automatic, were modified for faster, more responsive shifting and better maneuverability. Safety
• Advancing the Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame Body Structure with front and rear crumple zones, the new Impreza has realized high levels of safety and crash worthiness.
• All models are equipped with dual SRS airbags, side SRS airbags, and curtain airbags.
• A collapsible safety pedal is available on all models to reduce the risk to feet in accidents.
Refined styling is highlighted by a perfectly proportioned body, well calculated panel curves that reflect light and shadow in harmony, and quality details.
• Sweeping character lines on both sides express a sense of speed and individuality. • A sporty image is underscored by projecting front fenders and rear quarters.
• Projector lamps, used in the headlights, give a dynamic three-dimensional appearance. 5-door model
• A clean and elegant line flows continuously from the front grille, up the A-pillar, across the roof down to the rear gate.
• An aerodynamic rear spoiler, standard on all models, heightens the car’s sporty image. 4-door model
• The rear overhang is 165 mm longer than on the 5-door model, which gives the car a more elegant sedan look. Interior design
• Spacious and open interior provides comfort and improves visibility.
• Aluminum-look insets in the center panels and door trim add a sporty feel and airiness.
• The navigation screen, as well as the vehicle information and audio displays are placed at the top of the dashboard for improved visibility and functionality.
• High-grade, double-stitched seat fabrics provide a feeling of quality. • The new Impreza rides on a 95-mm-longer wheelbase than its predecessor, which enables expanded interior space.
• The all-new double-wishbone rear suspension makes room for a wider and deeper luggage compartment, enhancing the utility of the car.
• On the 5-door model, the rear seats feature a 60/40 split folding mechanism that allows various seating arrangements and increases cargo capacity. The wide and flat load floor can accommodate two Tour-size golf bags, or five carry-on bags.
• The 4-door model provides a larger trunk that can accommodate three Tour-size golf bags. The rear seats feature standard 60/40 split backs, giving pass-through access to the trunk.
• Larger door openings, which are enabled through new sash construction, afford improved ingress and egress, and the rear doors open 75 degrees to allow for better rear seat access.