HP has burst forth and launched a range of multi-touch computing products comprising three new TouchSmart PCs and a fully-functional interactive 42-inch HD digital signage display, the HP LD4200. The company has also upgraded its multi-touch notebook range with new touch features.
HP says its new consumer TouchSmart PCs – in a choice of 20-inch (TouchSmart 300) or 23-inch (TouchSmart 600) diagonal wide-screen models – feature exclusive built-for-touch applications, such as:
UPGRADE TO NEW ATLAS PLUS
More than 1,500 New Atlas Plus subscribers directly support our journalism, and get access to our premium ad-free site and email newsletter. Join them for just US$19 a year.UPGRADE
- Hulu Desktop, which provides access to Hulu’s library of hit TV shows, movies and video clips from nearly 200 leading content companies;
HP says users can rotate, arc, flip, press or drag a finger across the screen of the PC, accessing information in a natural, intuitive way. A wireless keyboard and mouse increases functionality.
Customers with previous TouchSmart PC models, who upgrade to Windows 7 through the HP Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program, will receive software with some of these new touch applications.
The TouchSmart monitors, which have a new swivel stand and tilt webcam, can easily be wall mounted (with optional wall bracket accessory) and all models meet ENERGY STAR® 5.0 requirements. Some models of the HP TouchSmart 600 easily connect to gaming consoles, including Xbox, PlayStation and Wii, via HDMI or composite video ports.
Multi-touch consumer notebooks
The HP TouchSmart tx2 combines comprehensive computing with tablet PC capabilities, and is the first notebook PC for consumers that requires only two fingers to navigate HP’s entertainment applications. The HP TouchSmart tx2 features most of the same touch applications as the HP TouchSmart PC, as well as exclusive touch-enabled games and Corel® Painter Sketch Pad for creating digital art.
The HP TouchSmart tx2 weighs 4.65lbs, features a 12.1-inch diagonal WGXA HD HP LED wide-screen integrated touch-screen convertible display, AMD Turion dual-core processors.
The convertible design has a twist hinge to allow users to enjoy the HP TouchSmart tx2 in three modes: PC, display and tablet. It has a rechargeable digital ink pen which turns the HP TouchSmart tx2 into a tablet PC to write, sketch, draw, take notes or graph right onto the screen – and then automatically convert handwriting into typed text.
For those who need a lot of grunt from their PCs, HP believes its multitouch-enabled business PC, the HP TouchSmart 9100 Business PC, has the features they need. It provides real-time information, videoconferencing capabilities and multimedia features in a 23-inch diagonal full HD widescreen display.
New enhancements on the HP TouchSmart 9100 include:
- DVI output, enabling customers to connect to full HD format displays and projectors;
- Configure-to-order options designed to meet the needs of businesses, including a choice of genuine Microsoft Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit operating system, (6) processors, optical drives, hard drives, solid state drives, Kensington locks, HP Protect Tools and HP BIOS to enable USB ports and SATA device lock down, and retasking of button controls for custom kiosk configurations;
- Optional wall-mount adapters;
- Premium performance with a powerful Intel Core2 Duo processor, Genuine Windows 7 Professional, up to 8GB of memory, up to a 500GB hard drive or an optional 64GB solid state drive;
- NVIDIA GeForce G200 integrated graphics or upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GT230 discrete graphics using the Mobile Express Module (MXM) graphics slot;
- New standard onsite warranty providing next-day business servicing;
- FireWire output for quick and easy transfer of digital files;
- Optional wireless keyboard and mouse;
- Optional Blu-ray combo optical disk drive.
The HP TouchSmart for business uses 55 percent less metal and 37 percent less plastic than standard PCs and monitors, and has power settings to save energy without interfering with the PC’s ability to perform.
HP’s first fully interactive, 42-inch, HD digital signage display
The HP LD4200 is a 42-inch diagonal digital signage unit, built to to be displayed and used in retail and public indoor environments.
It features infrared technology, which recognizes multi-touch gestures for onscreen interaction in 1,920 x 1,080 full HD native resolution to provide crisp views of video, graphics or text, in both bright and dim lighting. Additionally, an ultra-wide 178° x 178° viewing angle enables observation from almost any angle and, unlike TV screens, the HP LD4200tm is built to run 24/7 with low power usage while maintaining longevity. It also comes with a standard three-year limited warranty.
Pricing and availability
The HP TouchSmart 300 is priced from US$899 and should be available November 1. The HP TouchSmart 600 starts at US$1,049 and is due October 22. The HP TouchSmart tx2 costs from US$799 and is also expected in October. The HP TouchSmart 9100 starts at US$1,299 and will be available in December, as will the HP LD4200 42-inch widescreen LCD monitor, which begins at US$2,799.