Nikon’s new 12 megapixel D700
The D700 is Nikon’s soon-to-be-released, top of the line digital camera for non-professional photographers. Packing a whopping 12.1 megapixels, the D700 offers superior picture quality throughout a wide ISO sensitivity range.
The camera features Nikon FX format and NIKKOR lenses to deliver immaculately clean images. The combination of precision and light-handling efficiency of the D700’s sensor with the interchangeable lenses is integral to the high picture quality. The layout was designed with applied ergonomics to give the user easy access, via buttons, to functions commonly used while shooting. This eliminates the need for time-consuming menu searches. The size and layout of the buttons and dials have also been optimized to reduce the chance of error.
A Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor module features 51 AF (autofocus) points to offer fast, efficient and precise autofocus. The 3” monitor has 920,000-dot (VGA), a 170-degree wide-viewing-angle, 100% frame coverage and is made with low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment. After shooting, support for an optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4/4A enables direct, cable-free image transfer to a compatible computer. The camera also comes complete with Nikon ViewNX software to make browsing and organizing your images easier. Photo-editing software is available as an optional extra.
Available later this month, the D700 will retail for US$2,999. The camera’s specifications are as follows:
- Effective pixels - 12.1 million
- Image sensor - CMOS sensor, 36.0 x 23.9 mm; total pixels: 12.87 million; Nikon FX format
- Sensitivity - ISO 200 to 6400 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV; can be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 1 (ISO 100 equivalent) EV below ISO 200, or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1 (ISO 12800 equivalent), or 2 (ISO 25600 equivalent) EV over ISO 6400
- Storage media - CompactFlash (Type I, compliant with UDMA)
- Monitor - 3-in., approx. 920,000-dot (VGA), 170-degree wide-viewing-angle, 100% frame coverage, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
- Exposure metering - 3D Color Matrix Metering II, Center-Weighted and Spot Metering
- Exposure modes - Programmed Auto (P) with flexible program, Shutter-Priority Auto (S), Aperture-Priority Auto (A), Manual (M)
- Interface - Hi-Speed USB
- Power sources - One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 (optional) with one Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a/4/3e, or eight R6/AA-size alkaline (LR6), Ni-MH (HR6), lithium (FR6) batteries, or nickel-manganese (ZR6) batteries
- Dimensions (W x H x D) - Approx. 147 x 123 x 77 mm (5.8 x 4.8 x 3.0 in.)
- Weight - Approx. 995 g (2.19 lb.) without battery, memory card, body cap or LCD monitor cover