Nokia has officially taken the wraps off its new X7 smartphone – an entertainment and mobile gaming focused unit that packs a 4-inch, 16:9, AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 8 megapixel camera and 720p video capture into nicely chiseled stainless steel casing that's less than half an inch (11.9 mm) thick. Along with the (also freshly announced) QWERTY keyboard equipped E6, the X7 is the first Nokia device to run on the updated Symbian "Anna" platform which introduces a raft of enhancements including new icons, improved text input, faster browsing and a spruced-up version of Ovi Maps.
Though the 4-inch screen size trumps some of the obvious competition, the X7 still seems a little light on pixels with its 640 x 360 resolution. The 8 megapixel camera is enhanced by a face recognition software and a dual LED flash, with 2x digital zoom available for still images and 3x digital for video.
NEW ATLAS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
Upgrade to a Plus subscription today, and read the site without ads.
It's just US$19 a year.UPGRADE NOW
Under the bonnet there's a 680MHz CPU with 256MB RAM (the same as current Symbian^3 phones) and the phone will ship with an 8 GB microSD card (supporting up to 32 GB), includes GPS receivers, an accelerometer for screen orientation and gaming and supports internet tethering.
Here's a run-down of the Nokia X7's key specs:
- Size: 119.7 x 62.8 x 11.9 mm
- Weight (with battery): 146 g
- Screen size: 4"
- Resolution: 16:9 nHD (640 x 360 pixels) AMOLED
- 16.7 million colors
- Capacitive touch screen
- Orientation sensor (Accelerometer)
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light detector
- Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers
- Ovi Maps with free car and pedestrian navigation
- Wi-Fi network positioning
- Accelerometer for correct orientation of display
- Talk-time (max): 6 h 30 min (GSM), 4 h 30 min (WCDMA)
- Standby time (max): 450 h (GSM), 450 h (WCDMA)
- 8 GB microSD card included, support for up to 32 GB with an external MicroSD memory card (with hot swap)
- 8 megapixel camera
- Fullscreen 16:9 viewfinder with easy on-screen touch controls
- 3rd generation dual LED flash
- Face recognition software
- Focal length: 4.3 mm
- Aperture: F2.8
- Zoom up to 2x (digital) for still images
- Zoom up to 3x (digital) for video
- Video capture in 720p 25 fps with codecs H.264, MPEG-4
- Shoots 16:9 videos in HD
- Settings for scene, video light, white balance, color tone
No U.S. wireless carriers have been announced for the Nokia X7 or E6 at this stage, but Three in the UK has picked up the X7 with a release expected in coming months at a price in the €380 range.
Nokia has also announced that the Symbian Anna update will become available as standard on for Nokia N8, Nokia E7, Nokia C7 and Nokia C6-01 devices.View gallery - 13 images