February 5, 2009 Better Energy Systems have added new smart phone protective cases, including one for the iPhone, to their eco-friendly range. Tread cases are manufactured from re-engineered Colombian truck tires and the resulting recycled material (called Butyl rubber) is heat resistant, can withstand temperatures of up to 110 degrees C (230 degrees F), is not weakened by UV light and can even survive acid being poured on it.
Only 15% of Butyl rubber is currently recycled with the rest being burned or thrown into landfills.
NEW ATLAS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
Upgrade to a Plus subscription today, and read the site without ads.
It's just US$19 a year.UPGRADE NOW
“We are helping to preserve the environment by giving redundant resources a new lease of life. We also believe our consumers want to do the right thing and buy products from companies that are perceptive of their environmental footprint,” said Chris Hornor, CEO of Better Energy.
Each Tread bag or case is hand made in Barranquilla from used tires from local service stations in Quibdó, Columbia. Because the tire pieces are hand-cut each Tread piece will have individual markings and textures.
The existing range includes cases and bags for mobile phones and laptops whilst the new Tread cases are specially engineered for iPhones, iPod touch and a variety of smart phones.
The Tread ranges are now available, have a full one year warranty and are priced from GBP 11.95 (approx. USD 17 at time of publication).
- Waterproof re-engineered rubber
- Durable Nylon stitching
- Sleek design
- Handcrafted for individuality
- Resistant to acid and alcoholic components
- Resistant to UV light and Ozone degradation
- Water and gas impermeable
- Endures temperatures of up to 110ºc
- Wipes clean in one swipe
- Cases available for: universal smart phones, iPhone, iPod Touch, universal mobile phones, iPod (all generations), Zune MP3 player, 15” PC and Mac bag, 15” MacBook Pro, 15” Mac sleeve, cameras and Solio chargers