A portable camcorder that records MPEG-4 SP video format at 30 frames per second - in stereo - has been released by Zoom. The Q3 Handy Video Recorder combines 640 x 480 resolution video recording with studio quality audio through two built-in condenser microphones.
Samson Technologies says the Q3 uses the same X/Y pattern that gives recording pros the best stereo recording possible. This allows users to record audio at 24-bit/48 kHz for ‘high-definition’ quality audio. An added feature is the Q3’s directional microphones which allow users to aim the mics at their sound source, similar to an ‘audio zoom’ function which helps create natural depth and highly accurate stereo imaging. “Portable camcorders are very popular today, however, one significant feature that’s been missing is professional audio quality,” says Scott Goodman, President of Samson Technologies. The Q3 comes complete with a 2GB SD card for up to one hour of video recording time but will accept up to 32GB SDHC cards for 16 hours of moviemaking. The retail price is USD$249. The camcorder is powered by 2 AA batteries and has a 2.4-inch LCD display that includes audio level meters, battery indicator, time elapsed and video display. Samson Technologies says the Q3 is ideal for recordings for live music fans, musicians, or anyone wanting great audio on their videos.
NEW ATLAS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
Upgrade to a Plus subscription today, and read the site without ads.
It's just US$19 a year.UPGRADE NOW
- recording time – up to 16 hours with a 32GB SD card
- built-in stereo microphones – same X/Y stereo condenser microphones as the award-winning H4n model
- audio format with video – 44.1/48kHz 16/24-bit Linear PCM or MP3 audio up to 320kbps
- audio only – 96kHz 16/24-bit linear PCM
- LCD screen size – 2.4 inches, 320 x 240 resolution
- video recording quality – 640 x 480 resolution
- frame rate – 30 frames per second
- video format – MPEG-4 SP
- optics lens type – fixed focus (0.8m to infinity)
- battery type – two AA batteries provide up to two hours of life. Alkaline or Ni-MH rechargeable compatible
- computer connectivity – USB 2.0 with cable built-in
- built-in speaker – designed for immediate playback
- TV output – NTSC/PAL
- included software – HandyShare built-in editing and YouTube uploading software and Apple Quicktime