Dutch company Urban Mobility Europe has created a personal electric transporter that offers a silent and eco-friendly mode for getting around the city or parklands. Named Qugo, the three-wheeled transporter has a top speed of 25 km/h (15.5 mph) and features a patented construction that offers a flexible and smooth ride, which according to the makers is “like skiing on the road."
The lightweight aluminum-framed Qugo features front wheel drive, a three-disc braking system, and is powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. The two smaller rear wheels are connected to the larger front balance wheel by swing arms, offering the rider a secure central position to confidently travel and maneuver the vehicle. This system also allows the rider to travel in a zig-zag ski-like pattern at faster speeds, as opposed to traveling in a simple straight line (which is also an option). Furthermore, the handlebar can fold down in order to save space for storage or easy transport.
While the idea behind the Qugo is not that dissimilar to the Segway, it does look like it could offer more in terms of stability, flexibility and above all fun. Here's a quick look at its specifications.
- Weight (excluding battery): 25 kg (55 lbs)
- Top speed: 25 km/h (15.5 mph)
- Single charge range: 25 km (15.5 miles)
- Dimensions operational: 1150 x 580 x 1350 mm (45 x 23 x 53 inches)
- Dimensions folded: 1150 x 580 x 780 mm (45 x 23 x 31 inches)
- Drive line: 1 kW BLDC hub-motor
- Power pack: li-ion 36V or 48V, 9-12Ah
- Charging time: 3 - 4 hours
- Braking system: three disc brakes
The Qugo is currently available for purchase from limited outlets around the world, with prices to be confirmed. You can have a look at it in action in the promo video below from Urban Mobility Europe.