Samsung has announced an update to its NX line of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras along with a powerful new 24X zoom compact ahead of next week's CES. The follow up to the NX10 (sensibly called the NX11) shares many of the features of its predecessor including an APS-C (23.4 mm × 15.6 mm) size, 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor and 3-inch AMOLED screen. The updated unit is also the same weight and size, with the key points of difference being extended compatibility with the i-Function lenses first introduced last year on the NX100 and a slight tweaking of the grip design.
The NX11 will be available with an 18-55mm i-Function lens and two new i-Function lenses – a 20mm pancake and a 20-50mm zoom silver color lens.
UPGRADE TO NEW ATLAS PLUS
More than 1,500 New Atlas Plus subscribers directly support our journalism, and get access to our premium ad-free site and email newsletter. Join them for just US$19 a year.UPGRADE
Samsung's i-Function lens is a new approach to streamlining access to camera controls which enables shutter speed, aperture, EV, WB, and ISO to be adjusted by a toggle switch on the lens itself. The idea makes sense given that one of the drawbacks of the new breed of mirrorless cameras is the lack of room on the body for the same type of fast access controls found on their larger DSLR siblings – with this system you can adjust key settings without taking your camera off the subject. There's also a lens priority mode dial designed to get you straight to the best mode for each lens.
The NX11 is set for a February 2011 release at a cost of US$649.
An i-Function compatibility firmware upgrade for the NX10 was announced in October.
Key specifications Samsung NX11
- Image Sensor: 23.4×15.6mm CMOS, approx. 14.6 Megapixels
- Lens: Samsung NX Mount
- Image Stabilization: Lens Shift (depends on Lens)
- Dimensions and weight: 123 x 87 x 39.8mm (excluding the projecting part), 353g (without battery and card)
- Viewscreen: 3.0” AMOLED, EVF VGA (640x480) 921k dots equiv.
- Multi focus:: Normal 15points, Close Up 35points
- Face Detection : Max. 10faces
- Metering : Multi, Center-weighted, Spot
- TTL, Auto Pop-up flash
- Samsung External Flash available (SEF-42A, SEF-20A, SEF15A : Optional)
- Shooting functions: Smart Auto, Lens Priority, Program, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE, Manual, Sound Picture, Sweep Panorama, Scene, Movie, Beauty shot, Children, Close Up, Text, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Night, Portrait, Landscape, Sports
- Image capture: RAW - 14M (4592x3056), Super fine , Fine, Normal
- High Definition Movie Recording with MP4 (H.264) Frame rate - 30fps
24X zoom WB700 compact camera
The second pre-CES announcement from Samsung is the new WB700. The 16 megapixel (14MP effective) point-and-shoot boasts 24X zoom (18X optical zoom and 1.3X "Smart Zoom") via a 24mm ultra-wide Schneider KREUZNACH® lens. The WB700 also gets full manual control, 720p high definition video recording (H.264 format) with new zoom noise reduction functionality and dual optical / digital image stabilization.
The 99.5 x 59 x 21.7mm WB700 will go on sale in April at a price of $US300.
Key specifications Samsung WB700
- Image Sensor: 1/2.33″ (approx 7.76mm) CCD,16 Megapixel, 14MP(effective)
- Lens: Schneider-KREUZNACH f = 4.06 ~ 73.08mm (35mm film equivalent : 24~432 mm)
- Image Stabilization: Dual OIS and DIS (Optical / Digital Image Stabilization)
- Dimensions: 99.5 x 59 x 21.7
- Full Manual Mode (A/S/M Support)
- Movie Recording button
- Support Raw file format
- Built in HDMI Type D with Anynet+ (CEC) + 20Pin Connector
- Flash Manual Adjustment (Timing, Light Quantity)
- Smart Auto (Still/Movie)
- Smart Filter 2.0 artistic filters