Sony has announced that two new point-and-shoots will be joining its Cyber-shot compact camera range in March. Both the WX70 and WX50 feature a 16.2 megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor, enhanced sensitivity, 5x Optical Zoom and full HD video recording bolstered by improved image stabilization.
Improved low light shooting is a key feature of the cameras with "Extra High Sensitivity" technology upping the maximum ISO to 12800 and reducing noise to a sixth of previous Cyber-shot models according to Sony.
NEW ATLAS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
Upgrade to a Plus subscription today, and read the site without ads.
It's just US$19 a year.UPGRADE NOW
Improvements have also been made to the Optical SteadyShot stabilization system and the clarity of the 10x digital zoom (Sony calls this "Clear Image Zoom"), while both cameras have 3D Sweep Panorama and 3D Still Image shooting capabilities.
The difference between the two models comes down to the weight (the WX50 is all of 3 g heavier) and the screen size - the WX-70 gets a 7.5cm/3" XtraFine LCD touchscreen (921k dot resolution) while the WX-50 has a 6.7cm/2.7" Clear Photo LCD (460k dot resolution).
The cameras are expected in Europe in mid-March but no official pricing has yet been announced.
Technical specifications, Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 and DSC-WX50:
- Effective Pixels: 16.2 megapixels
- Image Sensor: 1/2.3 type (7.77mm) Exmor R CMOS
- Processor: BIONZ
- Lens: Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar
- Zoom: 5x Optical Zoom / 10x Clear Image Zoom; 25mm wide angle
- ISO: Auto / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400* / 12800* (*Achieved by image superimposition and "Pixel Super Resolution" technologies)
- Battery Life (still image shooting): Approx.120mins (CIPA standard with LCD on)
- Video recording: Full HD (AVCHD 1920x1080 / 50i), MP4 also selectable
- Approx. dimensions WxHxD: 92.2 x 52.0 x 19.1 mm (3 3/4" x 2 1/8" x 25/32")
- Weight (Body Only): WX70 - 98g (3.5oz.), WX50 - Approx. 101g (3.6oz.)
- Available colors: Silver/Black/White