New media entertainment company, d'strict, is pushing the concept of virtual reality to a new level with the "Live Park 4D World Tour," a new theme park that recently opened in South Korea. The park is comprised of 65 different attractions over a 10,000 sq. foot (929 sq m) space, which houses several large interactive displays as well as some installation art pieces.
Visitors wear RFID wristbands that allow the displays to identify them, while Kinect sensors detect their movements, voices, and faces. Many of the attractions center around having users create an avatar of themselves that they can interact with and take on a virtual adventure, which is portrayed using 3D video, holograms, and augmented reality technology.
UPGRADE TO NEW ATLAS PLUS
More than 1,200 New Atlas Plus subscribers directly support our journalism, and get access to our premium ad-free site and email newsletter. Join them for just US$19 a year.UPGRADE
Some examples include:
- Ender Mirror: visitors create an avatar of themselves that they can interact with
- Live360: the world's largest interactive 360 degree stereoscopic theatre, where visitors can follow their avatar through an interactive story that has multiple endings
- Live Square: visitors play games with their avatar in a 150-meter (492-foot) wide projection square
- Live Holo: stylish holographic displays created by both domestic and overseas artists
- Syno Star Performance: visitors put on a show with their avatars and holograms on an augmented reality stage
- Mega Live Event: the entire park is turned into a night spot, complete with DJs, events, and performances
The Live Park 4D World Tour is currently open at the KINTEX in Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. So far, it's been successful enough to prompt d'strict to extend the time the park will remain open to the public. The company is also now planning to create more permanent installations in China and Singapore and hopes to expand the park overseas.
Check out the video below to see some of the attractions in action.
Source: Live Park 4D World Tour