Robert Springer October 26, 2011 01:21 AM What exactly is the paper titled / what page number /edition is it on?Ed - thanks, the direct link to the paper has now been added. Bart Viaene October 26, 2011 02:16 AM Does the effect last ? Or do allergic patients need repeat treatment with allergen-covered leucocytes ? JayDay October 26, 2011 07:25 AM This research is missing the point. You cannot do that for every substance, it is a bad approach.I accidentally discovered that orally administered antifungal medication (itraconazole) is able to suppress completely all my once serious allergy symptoms. I contacted the NIH (NIAID) with this, and though they replied, they failed to grasp the importance (also in human lives) of this serendipitous knowledge.Not only that, fungal medication has to be taken for a long time, since fungi need long treatments. The medication will start to work after some 20 days, it seems this is the time required to switch fungi off. When anti fungal medication is suspemded after several months, symptoms of allergy will be much lower or will be cured, and they will stay so. This furhter confirms fungi as the possible cause of all allergies. When having a health problem, it should be regular procedure to tes if it is caused by a virus, a bacteria or fungi, but it seems top researchers are failing to check this, as a starting point.If somebody with a lab or research potential is reading this, please try it, it is too important to the lives of so many to just let it be forgotten (again). The medicines are already there it is simpler than usual to test this.All the best to you all see3d October 26, 2011 02:05 PM JayDay, I have many decades of experience with various allergies and strategies. What you most likely experienced is the cumulative inflammation effect. When you are stressed by one or more significant allergic reactions, it lowers your tolerance for others. Your fungal immune reactions could have made you more sensitive to your other more minor allergies. This is a response that I have much experience with.I have also had experience with an allergy treatment that placed a small dose of the allergin under the tongue -- which put it directly into the blood stream. The dose was individually tailored to turn off the reaction. It was a smaller dose than turned it on. It worked along the lines of when an infection was being cleared by the immune system, at a certain low level, the immune system turns off. This is what happens when the fever breaks and you suddenly feel well in an instant.What the researchers have done here though is fantastic for its potential. Just think about all the poison ivy sufferers who get a systemic reaction. Many people could benefit from this once it is fully developed for human use. JayDay October 26, 2011 07:03 PM see3d, I don't think what you suggest is the case. When I stumbled upon this, I was avoiding all known allergens, I was free from allergy symptoms and it was in the winter, so there were no pollens, which I was very allergic to. Since the fungal treatment went on for several months well into the spring, I realized with big surprise that spring I was not suffering hay fever anymore, and that was very evident to me as my symptoms were very evident every spring. I became free of any allergy symptoms even if I walked into the park in the middle of the spring. That would have been completely impossible before the antifungal treatment.Curiously enough, I reproduced the same effect while on antibiotics. But contrary to antifungals, allergies would be worst than at the start of the treatment. My guess is that antibiotics didn't kill fungi but freed them of competitors, and fungi used this antibiotic treatment time to spread without competition. I think this is also why allergies can be kickstarted after an intense and long tratment with antibiotics.I think what happens is that some fungal pathogen is releasing some specific glycoproteins into the bloodstream to tweak the immune system to their benefit. Glycoproteins are used by the immune system as messengers. Fungi are altering the communication within the immune system, so that they keep it busy. This way the fungi can spread more easily: the immune system will be responding weakly to fungi for having to deal with too many things at a time. If somebody is taking antifungal medication, that will freeze fungal activity after a number of days, about 20. If this frozen state is kept long enough, the immune system will eventually be able to clear the fungi and allergies will be cured. If the treatment is not long enugh, allergies will improve.Your approach may also work, but some people are allergic to dozens or hundreds of substances. Some people don't even know all the substances they are allergic to. You'll still have to prescribe a treatment for each substance. IMO it makes little sense all that trouble if you can end it all quickly and easily by taking a single antifungal agent. The simplest solutions are often the best, they'rre more likely to be addressing the root of the problem, and that's just what I think is happening with antifungals in this case. Allergy Specific October 26, 2011 08:44 PM JayDay, The treatment see3D decsribed, sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) is commonly called allergy drops. They are a form of desensitization and in that they are similar to the techinique in the article. There are no commercially available sublingual treatments for food allergies yet but there are allergy drops for most airborne allergies.Allergy drops have been successfully used in Europe for decades and are endorsed by the World Health Organization. They are being adopted rapidly in the US. see3d October 27, 2011 12:23 AM JayDay, Perhaps you did not realize that Winter has some of the worst pollen levels. Windborne pollens from trees are spread in Winter. I know. I underwent anti-fungal treatments to no effect before I started SLIT treatments for aerosol and food allergies 25 years ago from the pioneers in the field. I got a lot of relief, but it was an ongoing process of adjusting doses every season.The thing that finally got rid of most of my allergies was cleaning up my diet to get rid of grains and other high GI carbs and striving for low inflammation through balancing proteins, fats, and low GI carbs, along with EPA/DHA and other supplements. That cleared up almost all my many allergies. That evens out blood sugar, which to your point, also makes a less favorable environment for fungus to grow long term.These things are as multi-faceted as individual immune systems. JayDay October 27, 2011 03:14 PM Allergy Specific, SLIT is a possibility, but it seems to me far too cumbersome. The number of possible allergens is very high, in the hundreds or thousands of substances. Is like having no money and having to \"desensitize\" every shop in town about that fact, so that they will still sell you things despite your being broke. We don\'t even know the number of shops in town, and it could be you really need something from a shop you didn\'t know that existed or you were not able to desensitize. Wouldn\'t it be better just having an adequate income, a solution that fits all shops once and for all? JayDay October 27, 2011 03:33 PM see3d, my allergies were serious enough as to realize for sure if there were airborne pollens or not. The difference was dramatic enough to say that it wouldn\'t go unnoticed.Maybe your antifungal treatments were too short, non-systemic, or low dose? Even topical treatments improved my allergies, in fact I realized about this after a topical treatment, then a friend doctor suggested me to try a systemic treatment. My experience is that you\'ll need to take antifungals for at least 20 days to put fungi to sleep. Then treatment should go on for three to six months.It is interesting what you say about nutrition, blood sugar levels could definitely be a hint.Sure there is an individual aspect to this, but if I\'m right, antifungals should work just about the same way for everybody with allergies, just like antibiotics work approximately fine for everybody in other conditions. The key here would be a long enough systemic treatment with the right dose. Dale Whitworth October 30, 2011 04:50 AM Has anyone considered how this approach may help gluten tolerance in children? We have friends who\'s daughter has almost died on several occasions because of gluten in the food she was served. Could the same technique help her?