July 24, 2008 Samsung's new flagship Series 9 LCD is the second generation of HDTV to use their LED SmartLighting technology, achieving a 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and "actual" black levels thanks to its ability to completely shut off the light source of each pixel.
The Series 9 also boasts Samsung's 120Hz technology dubbed Auto Motion Plus, which reduces the severity of issues commonly caused by fast-moving content on HDTVs, and a "Touch of Color" design that does away with the standard black bezel in preference of a charcoal grey with a honeycomb pattern (...we hope it matches the cushions.)
UPGRADE TO NEW ATLAS PLUS
More than 1,200 New Atlas Plus subscribers directly support our journalism, and get access to our premium ad-free site and email newsletter. Join them for just US$19 a year.UPGRADE
Other Series 9 LED LCD Features
- Ultra Clear Panel technology eliminates ambient light for increased picture quality in bright environments
- InfoLink allows you to read RSS feeds from the couch
- USB 2.0 connectivity for displaying photos and movies from external devices
- Four HDMI inputs including one easily accessible side input
- Internal flash memory preloaded with content like hi-resolution artwork, cooking recipes and games
The Series 9 LED LCD will be available this August in 46-inch (US$3,199.99) and 55-inch ($4,199.99) models.