The makers of the "world's first bamboo smartphone," the ADzero, revealed the final design and specification of the forthcoming Android handset at Droidcon on Friday. The ADzero team has also announced pricing as well as early bird discounts for those that sign up for an ADzero during the, yup, inevitable Kickstarter fundgasm. Details within…
Dominating the spec sheet is the 1.4 GHz Samsung Exynos 4 quad-core processor: the same as inside the international edition of Samsung's Galaxy S III. This is backed up by 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB internal storage. The device will run a choice of either Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or the AD Android Operating System (ADAOS), the latter being "open-sourced to the development community," but available to users alike. The full spec sheet as it stands can be seen below, but bear in mind that until these things hit the production line, all are subject to change.
So far as the Kickstarter campaign goes, it seems the typical array of funding options will be available. Things get interesting at US$500 for the "Early Bird Special," a $200 discount from the final retail version, assuming it sells for $700 – the "approximate" eventual price, according to its makers. One imagines these Specials will be limited in number. Alternatively, a $300 deposit can be laid down against an ADzero phone, for an eventual sum of $600 (still a $100 saving). Limited edition phones can be had for $700 for the duration of the campaign. There's no word yet on when the Kickstarter campaign will actually begin.
Here's the specification as it stands for now:
- Processor: 1.4 GHz Samsung Exynos 4 (quad-core)
- Display: 4.5-inch TFT LCD with 720x1280 HD Resolution, 326ppi
- Handset Dimensions: 134 x 68 x 11.8 mm
- Operating System: Stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich + ADAOS (Open Bootloader)
- Networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS/HSPA+ 1900/2100 MHz
- Memory: 1 GB DDR2
- Storage: 16 GB internal storage
- Battery capacity: 2050 mAh
- Cameras: Rear-facing 8MP f/2.0 back illuminated sensor with RingFlash, 0.3MP front-facing camera
- Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n
Source: ADzeroView gallery - 9 images