McLaren has announced a raft of upgrades to its already formidable MP4-12C supercar. A 25 hp increase in power that gives the 12C’s 3.8-litre twin turbo V8 engine a maximum output of 616 hp (625 PS) leads the list of enhancements which will come online later this year.
McLaren says the new engine mapping and resulting horsepower boost doesn't come at the expense of engine efficiency, with fuel economy specced on the EU combined cycle at 24.2 mpg (11.7 l/100km) and CO2 emissions remaining at 279 g/km.
GET 30% OFF NEW ATLAS PLUS
Read the site and newsletter without ads. Use the coupon code EOFY before June 30 for 30% off the usual price.BUY NOW
The 7-Speed SSG transmission also gets a work over, promising "crisper throttle response and improved clutch control for gear changes that are both faster and smoother."
In terms of aesthetics, there have been no major changes to exterior styling (look closely and you might notice that the badge has been redesigned) while an additional paint finish - "Volcano Yellow" - has been thrown into the mix, along with a new 5-spoke wheel design.
On the inside, the revised 12C gets more trim options, an upgraded climate control system, heated seats and "One Touch Seat Return" functionality which returns the drivers perch to the position it was in for the previous occupant.
One of the most unusual features of the car - its Intake Sound Generator (ISG) - has also been refined. The system, which controls the level of engine intake noise in the cabin depending on the selected powertrain mode, can now be manually adjusted through an electronic menu.
A button operated door entry system replaces the 12C’s original touch sensor system and an improved automatic headlight system (which now switches on the lights when it begins to rain) is also included. New equalizer settings for the Meridian audio system plus a vehicle lift option - which provides more ground clearance at speeds of up to 37 mph (60 kph) - round off the changes to the 2013 model.
Headed for production later this year, the latest iteration of the lightweight supercar will be priced at US$239,400. McLaren is also offering existing 12C owners an upgrade package at no cost from October 2012.
Key performance specs - 2013 McLaren MP4-12C
- Maximum output: 616hp
- 0-62 mph: 3.1 sec
- 0-124 mph: 8.8 sec
- 0-186 mph: 26.5 sec
- ¼ mile (400m): 10.6 sec @ 136 mph
- Top speed: 207 mph
Key technical specs - 2013 McLaren MP4-12C
- Drivetrain layout: Longitudinal mid-engine, RWD
- Engine configuration: V8 twin turbo
- Engine material: Aluminium block and cylinder heads
- Oiling: Dry sump
- Valvetrain: 32-valve, DOHC, dual VVT
- Redline (rpm): 8,500
- Engine displacement (cc): 3799
- PS / rpm: 625 / 7500
- Torque Nm / rpm: 600 / 3000-7000
- Transmission: 7 Speed SSG with Pre-Cog
- Body structure: Carbon fibre MonoCell with aluminum front and rear frames
- Wheelbase (mm): 2670
- Track, F/R (mm): 1656 / 1583
- Length (mm): 4509
- Width (mm): 1908
- Height (mm):1199
- DIN weight (kg / lbs): 1434 / 3161
- Dry weight (kg / lbs): 1336 / 2945
- Dry weight with lightweight options (kg / lbs): 1301 / 2868
- Active aerodynamics: McLaren Airbrake
- ProActive Chassis Control modes: Winter / Normal / Sport / Track
- Powertrain modes: Winter / Normal / Sport / Track
- Brakes: Cast iron discs with forged aluminum hubs (F 370mm / R 350 mm)
- Wheel sizes (F / R): 19” x 8.5”J / 20” x 11” J
- Tyres (F / R): Pirelli PZero 235/35 R19 / 305/30 R20
Source: McLaren AutomotiveView gallery - 7 images