Italian electric race-bike outfit CRP Racing has announced its first road-going superbike, the Energica. With 100 kW of power and top of the line chassis and suspension, all clothed in modern Italian style bodywork, the Energica is capable of speeds up to 220 km/h (137 mph) and range of 150 km (93 miles) on a single charge, due in part to a power train efficiency close to 95 percent. The package includes such niceties as ride-by-wire throttle, a brace of radial-caliper Brembo disc brakes, Ohlins suspension, digital multifunction LCD dashboard and LED lights.
The motor, a Permanent Magnet synchronous design, is claimed to be highly suitable for vehicle propulsion due to high start up torque (16 kgm/157 Nm) and is a departure from the eCRP race bikes, which used two brushed DC motors with a total power rating of 52 kilowatts.
NEW ATLAS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
Upgrade to a Plus subscription today, and read the site without ads.
It's just US$19 a year.UPGRADE NOW
With two seasons of successful experience in racing electric motorcycles - CRP won the TTXGP Europe crown, and was the runner-up in the TTXGP World Championship in 2010.
Pricing has been set at EUR15,000 ( approx. US$20,000 ) which is not bad for such a limited edition, eco-friendly weapon.
Here's a run down of the Energica's key specs:
- Motor: PMAC synchronous motor, permanent magnets
- Power: 100 kW
- Top Speed: 220 km/h
- Torque: 16 kgm / 157 Nm
- Range: 150 km
- Power train efficiency: approx. 95%
- Braking system: Brembo - front double caliper radial mount, rear single fixed caliper
- Braking discs: front double floating disc diam. 310 mm , rear single disc diam. 220 mm
- Wheels: OZ forged aluminum - front 3.50" X 17", rear 5,50" X 17"
- Tyres: front 120/70-17, rear 180/55-17
- Rear monoshock absorber: Matris or Ohlins, adjustable length
- Front fork: Marzocchi or Ohlins
- Throttle: Domino ride-by-wire
- Dashboard: Digital multi-function LCD
- Lights: ECIE - 100% LED