Nokia unveils N86 8-megapixel cameraphone with Carl Zeiss optics
February 19, 2009 It looks like Nokia has pulled out all the stops in delivering a potentially paradigm shifting N86 cameraphone with a camera that they claim has SLR-like optics and is good enough to replace your current compact digital one. With 8GB of internal storage, and a lens system from Carl Zeiss, this device can capture still images at 8 mega pixels, as well as 640x480 video 30 frames per second. The camera has a F2.4 aperture (so it's able to handle low light conditions) and includes a high intensity dual LED flash. Nokia is also using the internal GPS in the device to geo-tag all the photos.
Aside from is prowess as a camera the N86 is a S60 release 3 feature set 2 phone, which is the latest multimedia variant of their OS, so it supports the latest software from Nokia, including Nokia Maps 3.0 and N-Gage compatible games. The device slides both up and down, upward for a numeric keypad, and downward for multimedia controls, in the same way that the N95 and N85 do.
We're looking forward to giving it a complete test just as soon as we can get one!
Below is a excerpt of bullet points from Nokia's press material:
- The Nokia N86 8MP delivers the power of Nokia Nseries with the latest Ovi Services and authentic build materials.
- It sets a new benchmark in mobile imaging versatility with an 8 Mpix super wide-angle Carl Zeiss Tessar lens, and mechanical shutter. This means it’s easy even for novice users to get the versatility and quality of a stand-alone digital camera, now built-into their phone.
- Optimized for both photos and videos even in low-light or bright sunlight, the device delivers automatic aperture control to f2.4/f3.2/f4.8 - plus motion blur reduction, video stabilizer, noise reduction, panorama mode, flash and geo-tagging.
- The Nokia N86 8MP also incorporates the latest services Nokia Maps with compass and Ovi Contacts. Great for technology-savvy users who live in the moment and like to share their life with friends. Now it’s pure simplicity to snap great shots, geo-tag and share them with people that matter.
- The premium design includes scratch-resistant hardened glass front with a vibrant OLED display. Authentic metal details add to the quality and prestige of the unit.
- Amazing Video and TV entertainment on the go, up to 24GB of memory to store favorite programs, and a TV-out capability for plugging into any standard TV set.
- A built-in kickstand means you can stand-up the device for hands-free games or video entertainment. Opening the kickstand activates a photo slideshow, so you can also use the device as a digital photo-frame.
- Ovi services are integral to the whole experience, enabling users to chat, plan an evening, share a picture or a place, buy and listen to music and play games on the way.
- With Contacts users can manage their address book and calendar and keep it safe. They can also simply chat over IM, email or text - or let others see their location on the Nokia Maps and even share the song they are listening to.
- Maps, with guided pedestrian navigation, now provides straight line A-to-B guidance and automatic map orientation with compass, and has new 3D landmarks, satellite, hybrid and terrain maps.
- With Share users can store photos, videos and music online, upload images to the web and even see and place their photos on the map. Also integrates with Maps for users to share, plan and sync favorite places and routes between device and PC.
- Nokia Music Store enables users to browse millions of tracks, buy and download direct to their mobile and manage their music library on the go.
- The device supports N-Gage games and N-Gage Arena as well as Java games, and comes with a pre-installed catalogue to start off with. The device’s iconic dual-slide allows users to pick up a game where they left off with “Slide and Play” access to optimized gaming controls. The superior AM OLED display tops off a great gaming experience.
For further specs see Nokia.