ThinkTANK's Shape Shifter can carry a 17 inch laptop 2 DSLRs and lensView gallery - 9 images
March 6, 2009 What's the point of having a load of high end camera gear if you can't carry it in style. ThinkTANK's new Shape Shifter backpack can carry a full sized laptop and all you camera gear, and can shrink down to 3 inches thick when you're leaving your camera gear behind.
We saw a lot of carrying cases at PMA 2009, but this is the one that caught our eye. At US$249, it's clearly priced to appeal to professional photographers and well heeled executives.
Here's their press release from PMA:
THINK TANK PHOTO RELEASES FIRST EXPANDABLE BACKPACK
SANTA ROSA, CALIF –Think Tank Photo has released the Shape Shifter™, the first backpack designed to expand and contract to fit DSLR equipment. The vertically narrow profile is advantageous for navigating crowds, riding trains and subways, and other urban challenges. By contracting down to 3 inches, the backpack keeps photographers from having to carry around a large foam box on their backs once their equipment is removed.
The Shape Shifter was designed for:
- Photographers that want a lightweight solution with significantly less foam and padding than traditional photo backpacks;
- Photographers that travel a great deal by airplane and public transportation that want to carry the maximum amount of equipment in the smallest package possible;
- Photographers that want to reduce the size of the backpack after their gear is removed. (Note: some gear can remain in the front, like two strobes, and it can still be compressed to the smaller size with the zipper);
- Photographers that use modular belt systems. After they remove most of their gear and put it on their belt, they then can then collapse the backpack;
- Photographers on the run that must travel with up to 17” laptops and have the necessary accessories with them to transmit images.
- The Shape Shifter can be compressed to 3 inches in width once equipment is removed.
- Once the majority of photo gear is removed, the bag can be collapsed and the photographer can still carry up to a 17” laptop and accessories, but in a much smaller package.
- Rear compartment for up to 17” laptops has medium padding for protection and comfort.
- Photographers can to wear their belt system, with components attached, and still support the weight of the backpack with the belt.
- The inside compartment has neoprene pouches for:
- 2 Pro DSLR bodies
- 1 70-200 2.8 with hood reversed
- 1 24-70 2.8 or similar with hood reversed
- 1 16-35 2.8 or similar with hood reversed
- Stretch pockets on the inside can also hold two strobes and other accessories
- Includes a strap system to mount either a monopod or tripod on the front the backpack.
- Padding on the back has an airflow system for breathability and comfort.
- Outer Dimensions when COLLAPSED: 20 x 12.5 x 3” ( 51 x 32 x 8 cm)
- Outer Dimensions when EXPANDED: 20 x 12.5 x 7” ( 51 x 32 x 18 cm)
- Inner Dimensions of the LAPTOP CASE compartment: 19 x 12 x 1.5” (48 x 30.5 x 4 cm)
- Inner Dimensions of the DSLR Camera compartment (Note that because there are neoprene pockets to hold the photo gear, the normal internal dimensions stated have less meaning): 19.5 x 12 x 4” (49.5 x 30.5 x 10 cm)
- Estimated Base Weight (without any straps or accessories attached: 3 lbs, 13 oz (1729 grams)