Wii U specs list revealed
Following an E3 press conference that was relatively light on hardware revelations, Nintendo has confirmed a fuller spec list for its forthcoming Wii U games console, confirming 1080p output and multi-core processor.
Alas, though being touted as a completed specs list in some quarters, ambiguity remains, with the specifics of both the CPU and GPU still wanting. Still, here's the specs run-down as it stands at the moment:
- Dimensions: 1.8 in. high x 10.5 in. deep x 6.8 in. long (4.57 x 26.67 x 17.27 cm)
- Weight: 3.41 pounds (1.5 kg)
- CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core processor
- GPU: AMD Radeon-based HD GPU
- Storage: Internal flash drive, SD cards and external USB storage devices are supported
- Media: Optical discs (both Wii and Wii U format)
- Connectivity: EEE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, four USB 2.0 ports supporting Wii LAN adaptors
- Video output resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i
- Video output connectivity: HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV
It's reported that nearly all Wii games and peripherals will be compatible with Wii U.
Earlier this week Nintendo revealed the Wii U Pro controller, a controller extremely reminiscent of the XBox 360's, suggesting that Nintendo is taking dedicated and hardcore gamers rather more seriously this time around.