The Phantom v1610 camera shoots videos at 1,000,000 fps
Vision Research has revealed the latest addition to its line of digital high-speed cameras, in the form of the Phantom v1610. It shoots videos at an impressive speed of 16,000 fps, at a resolution of 1280 x 800. However, if the number of pixels is reduced to just 128 x 16, the speed can be increased to a whopping 1 million frames recorded every second. While that's less than the X-ray camera that shoots at 4.5 million fps, the Phantom v1610 is not a scientific one-of-a-kind device.
The company is already known for its Phantom Flex camera that was introduced last year, and is capable of capturing Full HD (1920 x 1080) videos at 2,800 fps. While the v1610's maximum resolution is "only" 1280 x 800 pixels, its standard speed is significantly higher. The frame rate of 1 million fps is available via an optional FAST feature which is implemented on request, while without FAST it's as high as 600,000 fps at the lowest resolution.
Utilizing Vision Research's proprietary widescreen CMOS 35.8 x 22.4 mm sensor, the Phantom v1610 can save footage at the speed of 16 gigapixels per second (for comparison, Phantom Flex's throughput is 6 gigapixels/second). The sensor's pixel size is 28 microns with 12-bit depth per pixel.
The camera comes with 24GB, 48GB, or 96GB of internal RAM, while it's also compatible with the non-volatile Phantom CineMag storage system - it features up to 512 GB of capacity, which reportedly makes it easier and faster to save and download footage.
The Phantom v1610's features include:
- Full resolution 1280 x 800 imaging
- 1 µs minimum exposure standard, 500 ns minimum exposure with FAST option
- Image-Based Auto-Trigger
- 24 GB, 48 GB, 96 GB high-speed internal RAM
- 10Gb ethernet port
- Internal mechanical shutter
- SMPTE & IRIG timecode, genlock, ready, and strobe outputs
- Frame synchronization to internal or external clock (FSYNC)
- HD-SDI video outputs
- GPS input for GPS timing, latitude and longitude
- Nikon F-mount lens standard (Canon EOS mount, PL-, and C-mount optional)
- Dimensions: 12 x 7.5 x 7 inches (28 x 19 x 17.75 cm) without handle or lens; weight is 17.4 lbs (7.9 kg)
Pricing and availability have not yet been announced.
Please keep comments to less than 150 words. No abusive material or spam will be published.