October 22, 2008 Motorola has broken new ground in the mobile phone fashion stakes with its latest handset - the uniquely designed AURA. While the phones' specs - which include a 2MP camera, H.264 video capture, 2GB on board memory, hands-free Bluetooth connectivity and an open source browser - don't exactly set it apart from the pack, the craftsmanship, classic styling and high-end materials that have been utilized to create it certainly do. The immediately recognizable highlight is the circular liquid-crystal display, an industry first innovation inspired by luxury watch design that incorporates 16 million colors and 300 dpi resolution protected by a highly scratch-resistant 62-carat sapphire crystal lens. We're not sure how practical this would be in terms of usability, but it certainly oozes elegance.
A great deal of engineering has gone into making sure you can open the phone - its drive-assisted rotating blade mechanism, relies on a 200 piece Swiss-made main bearing and Rockwell 50-55 hardened steel gears (which use the same tungsten carbide coating as high-performance racing engines) to deliver seamless access to the keypad.
Sick of Ads?
Join more than 500 New Atlas Plus subscribers who read our newsletter and website without ads.
It's just US$19 a year.More Information
Overall, the AURA consist of 700+ individual components including up-scaled, nickel-chrome-plated exposed screws and individually manufactured aluminum keys. The mirror finish is achieved with a hand-crafted, PVD coated, stainless steel housing takes nearly two weeks to sculpt, etch and polish.
Read on for more specs or visit the gallery for more angles on this stunning design.
Motorola AURA specs:
- Messaging: MMS, SMS, Email (POP3/IMAP embedded)1, Open Source
- Audio: AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, MIDI, MP3, WAV, WMA v10, WMA v9 (includes Motorolas CrystalTalk™ technology for audio clarity)
- Video: Capture/Playback, Capture/Playback/Streaming1, H.263, H.264, MPEG4
- Camera: 2 MP, Fixed Focus
- On Board Memory: 2GB user available memory2
- Connectivity: Stereo Bluetooth3 Class 1, Version 2.0 plus EDR and A2DP, USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- Browser: Open Source
- Bands/Modes: GSM 850/900/1800/1900, EDGE Class 12, GPRS Class 12
- Weight: 141.00 g
- Dimensions: 47.60 x 96.87 x 18.55mm
- Display: 1.55” in diameter, 480 pixel diameter, LCD round
- Battery: 810 mAh typical, 780 mAH minimum
- Standby Time: Up to approximately 400 hours4
- Talk Time: Up to approximately 7.3 hours