Ferrari World theme park to boast the world’s fastest roller coaster
There’s no doubting Ferrari has a legion of fans, but are their numbers great enough to justify the existence of a Ferrari theme park? Looks like we’ll get an answer with the world’s first such park, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, set to open its doors this October. Although, with the more than 20 rides and attractions including a spaceshot tower that launches riders 62m (203 ft) into the air and the world’s fastest roller coaster that propels thrill-seekers to speeds of 240 km/h (149mph) in just five seconds, the park is sure to appeal to those whose allegiance lies with other supercar marques.
The park is located on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi,which also holds the Yas Island Circuit that has hosted the Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix since 2009. The park is situated under a 200,000 square meter (2,200,000 sq ft) roof, making it the largest indoor amusement park in the world. This roof is modeled after the side profile of a Ferrari GT and is adorned with the largest Ferrari prancing horse logo ever created, measuring 65 x 48.5m (213 x 159 ft).
The first stone of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi was laid in November 2007 and with 100 days until the park’s scheduled opening on October 28, 2010, Ferrari World this week unveiled all the rides and attractions that will be operating on opening day. Here is a list of the attractions as described by the park’s operators:
- Formula Rossa – The world’s fastest roller coaster, reaching speeds of 240 km/h.
- Speed of Magic – A fantasy 4-D journey following the adventures of a young boy as he travels through a kaleidoscopic dreamscape of natural and phenomenal environments, where no Ferrari has gone before.
- Made in Maranello – A virtual trip behind the walls of the famous Ferrari factory in Maranello, taking guests through the intricate process of making the world’s most sought after car.
- V12 – An exciting flume ride to the heart of a 12 cylinders engine.
- G-Force – A thrilling tower ride that will shoot thrill-seekers through the red roof and 62 meters in the air before plummeting back to Earth, experiencing the actual G-force of a Ferrari, in a seat directly inspired by the Ferrari Enzo.
- Scuderia Challenge – Cutting edge racing simulators similar to those used by the drivers of the Scuderia Ferrari in training.
- Viaggio in Italia – A virtual aerial voyage over Italy’s cities and their main monuments, mountains and coasts pursuing a Ferrari.
- Fiorano GT Challenge – A unique dueling rollercoaster with Ferrari F430 Spiders twisting and turning through tight corners on a sprint to the finish line.
- Bell’Italia – A miniature recreation of Italy’s most famous locations, from the picturesque Portofino and the Amalfi Coast to Monza racetrack, the Colosseum in Roma, Venezia and Maranello, the heartland and home of Ferrari.
- Paddock – A re-creation of the Ferrari motor home including garages, transporters & hospitality suites with interactive shows offering fans a taste of the true action behind the scenes on a Grand Prix race day.
- The Pit Wall – An interactive theater that allows guests to test their judgment in realistic racing scenarios.
- Galleria Ferrari – The world’s largest Ferrari gallery outside Maranello, showcasing the most exclusive range of classic and contemporary Ferrari’s from all over the world.
- Junior GT – A driving school for children with expert instruction where they will drive reduced scale F430 GT Spiders on an equipped driving course.
- Junior Grand Prix – After the Junior GT driving experience, budding F1 drivers can enjoy the race track in scaled down Ferrari F1 racers.
- The Racing Legends – A ride through Ferrari’s greatest racing moments starting from the first races all the way to today’s F1 victories.
- Driving with Champions – An interactive 3-D show which follows the adventures of a young engineer who is taken on the ride of a lifetime with a racing champion on his first day working at the Ferrari factory
- Cinema Maranello – Ferrari World’s own theatre showing ‘Coppa di Sicilia’, a short film that tells one of the many inspiring stories from the life of the legendary Enzo Ferrari.
- Junior Training Camp – An interactive play area for children where they can engage with a waterless car wash, become custom ‘constructors’, climb up the grandstand, pilot remote cars, peddle their own miniature Ferrari and play with an F1 car made of soft, guest-friendly foam.
- Carousel – Featuring never-before-seen Ferrari prototypes based on winning designs from a Ferrari competition.
- Dining and Shopping – A range of concept restaurants and cafes offering authentic Italian dining experiences, in addition to unique shopping locations.
For those that can’t afford an actual Ferrari, a trip to Ferrari World Abu Dhabi could be the next best thing.